What is the MS Agriculture Youth Council and what does it do?
This council was created in 2021 by the Mississippi Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce, Andy Gipson, in order to provide future leaders of the agriculture industry an experience that cultivates leadership and career development and broadens horizons while developing the potential workforce for Mississippi. Council members will visit Mississippi agricultural companies and organizations, learn about the legislative process and how it affects the agriculture industry, shadow industry professionals and hone professional skills. Members will serve a one-year term on the council.
To develop future leaders in Mississippi through leadership and career development, industry exposure and experiential learning.
To provide students interested in the agriculture industry an experience that cultivates leadership and career development while developing the potential workforce for Mississippi.
How do you apply?
In the online application, please:
- Upload the following required files/documents
- Video submission – The video can be recorded from your cell phone and uploaded on the application site. However, it is preferable that you upload the video to YouTube or some other video transfer app and share the link in the appropriate box on the online application.
- Personal introduction
- Describe your experience with agriculture
- Why you are interested in learning more about agriculture
- What you hope to gain from this experience if selected
- Two separate letters of recommendation. These letters may be from teachers, employers, supervisors and/or mentors.
Online application can be found at agnet.mdac.ms.gov/youthcouncil/. All applications are due by April 14, 2023. Youth leaders will be announced by May 19, 2023.
Who is eligible to be a member of the MS Agriculture Youth Council?
- High school juniors in school year 2023 to serve their senior year, August 2023 – June 2024.
- Any public, private or homeschool students may apply.
- Students must exhibit an interest, passion and/or experiences in agriculture.
Requirements Upon Selection
- Students will be required to dress professionally for all Youth Council events.
- All travel to and from the MDAC office in Jackson will be the responsibility of students and/or parents.
- Commit to four council meetings from August 2023- June 2024.
For more information:
Gayle Clark: Gayle@mdac.ms.gov
Emily Stovall: EmilyS@mdac.ms.gov