Wild Hog Control Program FAQ

What is the purpose of the Wild Hog Control Program? 
The purpose of the Wild Hog Control Program is to provide landowners and land managers with the equipment and technical guidance needed to aid in the control of wild hogs on private agricultural and forestry lands in Mississippi.  Wild hogs cause more than $60 million in damage to private property annually in Mississippi.

What is a “wild hog?”   
The Mississippi Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks (MDWFP) defines wild hogs as follows: “Wild hogs are hereby defined as any feral hog, wild swine, Russian boar, or any pig that is not a domesticated pet or livestock, or has a wild looking appearance or behavior.” See Admin Code Title 40, Part 2, Rule 7.1 (MDWFP PDF).  However, for the purposes of human consumption, wild hogs and domestic hogs fall under the same definition, pursuant to the Federal Meat Inspection Act (see No. 8 below).

How do I obtain a trap? 
Depending on public demand for traps, MDAC will periodically open an application period for the use of traps.  A cooperative application is encouraged for small acreage (i.e., adjoining land managers of small parcels should work together to submit one application). Traps will be available for one-month intervals, dependent upon use and success. One trap per 1,000 acres is recommended, depending on landscape and land use.

How will applicants (users) be selected? 
Submitted applications will be evaluated based on the number of acres available for trapping and historical agricultural losses caused by wild hogs on the property.  Applicants may either own or lease the land described on the application.  If the land is leased, the applicant must have permission from the landowner to trap on the property.

What trapping equipment will MDAC supply to the user?

  • Smart trap with cellular camera. Includes 12v battery and solar panel for power source.
  • Data service for cellular camera.
  • T-post for camera.
  • Trailer for transporting trap.
  • On-site evaluation and trap setup.

What are the requirements for using a trap? 

  • Users must following all rules and regulations (MDWFP PDF) pertaining to the take of nuisance animals set forth by the MDWFP.
  • A signed Equipment Use Agreement between MDAC and the User is required for all trapping equipment.
  • User assumes all risk and liability for the use of the Equipment.
  • Photographic evidence of wild hog damage on property.
  • Access to property for MDAC site evaluation and trap delivery/retrieval.
  • A smart phone or tablet for use with traps. The “HogEye Camera Management” app must be downloaded on the user’s phone or tablet.
  • Personnel to maintain, monitor, and use traps.
  • Bait for pre-baiting and trapping. Shelled corn is recommended.
  • A 7-day pre-baiting period and photographic evidence of bait site(s) being used by wild hogs. Period length may be adjusted based on wild hog usage of bait sites.
  • Capture report for each capture (i.e., total number captured, number of males captured, and number of females captured).

What am I allowed to do with wild hogs that are captured?   
The Wild Hog Control Program rules require that all wild hogs be killed before they are removed from traps.  Then, the user must either bury the wild hogs or process them for his/her own personal use.  NO WILD HOG MAY BE REMOVED ALIVE FROM THE TRAP.

Are wild hogs subject to the same meat inspection laws and regulations as commercial/farmed hogs? 
Yes, wild hogs are considered an amenable species under Federal Law and Regulations and, therefore must follow the same regulations for slaughter and processing.  Federal Law and Regulations do not differentiate between wild hogs and domesticated hogs.  Both are deemed to be “swine”.

Where do meat inspection requirements come from? 
The requirements for meat inspection come from the Federal Meat Inspection Act (FMIA) and the Mississippi Meat Inspection Act (MMIA) and the regulations adopted thereto.  See Laws – Meat Inspection Services.

What are the requirements for selling and/or donating meat products in Mississippi?   
All beef, pork, sheep, and goat products sold and/or donated to consumers must be from animals that have been slaughtered, processed and accurately labeled in an approved facility and have passed ante mortem and postmortem inspections.  Uninspected, dead wild hogs may not be donated or given away.  As stated previously, Wild Hog Control Program rules require that wild hogs be killed before they are removed from traps.

May I take a live wild hog to be slaughtered and processed?  
Under the Wild Hog Control Program, no.  However, if you would like information from MDWFP on their regulations, including transporting wild hogs for slaughter in general, you may contact MDWFP’s 24-hour Communications Dispatcher at (601) 432-2170 or visit

If I capture and kill wild hogs, am I allowed to give them away to other individuals to then be processed for their use?   
No.  This is prohibited by Federal and State meat inspection laws.